The defensive mother routine

I never had myself down as somebody who is easily offended. In fact, if anything, I'd say that I have a bit of a brutal sense of humour in many ways. That is until I became a mum.


Since he was born, a mere 10 weeks ago, I've noticed how many opinions people have, even of babies. Fabulous as freedom of speech is, my goodness should some opinions just be withheld.

One of the ones I seem to get the most is  'he's the double of his dad'. I mean, OK, his dad's an attractive fella and don't get me wrong of course he looks much like his dad, that is kinda biology for you, but why has nobody stopped to think after carrying a child for 9 months and nurturing them from sesame seed to watermelon (or whatever the pregnancy app said we were up to last), that mum wouldn't want to hear that her baby has at least SOME of mum?! Offensive much? Humfph.

It's silly isn't it? Or is it? These days I never quite know whether the things I am finding irritating me ordinarily would irritate me or not. On this occasion though I felt as though the other person was almost mocking me as if it was a case of 'ha! Your child looks nothing like you'. Rude.

Squish, I don't know what you will look like when you're older and I do think you look lots like Daddy Squish but mummy does hope you will always know you're the most beautiful thing I ever laid my eyes on. Your chubby little cheeks and gummy smiles give me life. Don't ever listen to anybody who critiques your newborn. People just love the sound of their own voice.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top